Office 365 Feature Focus – Litigation Hold for email
Litigation hold sounds like a feature reserved for solicitors but lots of organisations can benefit from litigation hold. It’s a feature found in Office 365 that copies all emails to a secret mailbox behind the scenes and holds them there from prosperity. This means that the user could delete an important mail and several years later an administrator can search for and recover the information. Here are a few key facts:
1. The litigation hold mailbox can grow to 100Gb, twice the size of the user’s mailbox.
2. The searches are done using a process call E-Discovery which is really powerful, you can search for things like sender, recipient or even just the content of the mail.
3. It’s free for most office 365 users.
4. Mail is kept for a set period or indefinitely.
5. You can switch it on for shared mailboxes.
If you have a user who’s mail might be precious and you’re scared they might delete something you will need, simply switch it on and stop worrying.
Microsoft are smashing it at the moment. Early in the COVID crisis they came under some criticism for being behind Zoom because they only had 3×3 on a call but the reality is Teams was already a much bigger product. Over the last few weeks not only have they caught up...