Litigation hold sounds like a feature reserved for solicitors but lots of organisations can benefit from litigation hold. It’s a feature that copies all emails to a secret mailbox behind the scenes and holds them there from prosperity. This means that the user could delete an important mail and several years later an administrator can search for and recover the information. Here are a few key facts:
1. The litigation hold mailbox can grow to 100Gb, twice the size of the user’s mailbox.
2. The searches are done using a process call E-Discovery which is really powerful, you can search for things like sender, recipient or even just the content of the mail.
3. It’s free for most office 365 users.
4. Mail is kept for a set period or indefinitely.
5. You can switch it on for shared mailboxes.
If you have a user who’s mail might be precious and you’re scared they might delete something you will need, simply switch it on and stop worrying.